About Me

My photo
Chris is married with 3 cats and lives just outside Coventry. She owns The Amethyst Centre, which is a complementary therapy and training centre.

Sunday 29 September 2019

Countdown and some home truths

12 days to go.

And it has been brought home to me just how little I actually have managed to put aside for my convalescence.

I went to see Bede Village to enquire after a week's convalescent care. It is a lovely place, there is no denying that, everything you would want from a 5 star hotel with added nursing care. I went on a beautiful sunny and warm day so perhaps I saw the place at its best. But it's not for me.

Two reasons: one is that it is literally miles from anywhere. I would be well and truly stuck, unable to drive. Would that matter? Well it also means that Steve would have trouble visiting me, he would have to get a taxi there and back (unless he stayed - and that would incur extra charges...)

The extra charges? Well the accommodation wouldn't be available until the 22nd and I would be expecting to leave hospital around the 15th. The 22nd is half term, and the prices increase in the school holidays. The cost would be well over £1000 for that week, and I only have £1000 to pay for a lot of things including the care package, which would have to kick in the week before.

So I'm afraid the convalescent week is out.

I investigated alternatives, and got a firm in for a quote for a proper clean. The quote comes to nearly £800!

The problem I have is that I won't get assessed for a care package until I am in hospital, probably on the 11th itself. That will tell me whether I get any State help hiring carers, home helps, cleaners, and so I can't actually make these sort of plans until I come out of hospital. Which is too late.

And I seem to be in for a 9-day stint at work between Wednesday 2nd and Thursday 10th October, without a day off in that time, so reducing my availability for cleaning, shopping and other preparations.

I think I might be looking at having a really nice holiday - still in this country as I don't have a passport - when I am able to drive, in about early December!


No comments:

Post a Comment