About Me

My photo
Chris is married with 3 cats and lives just outside Coventry. She owns The Amethyst Centre, which is a complementary therapy and training centre.

Tuesday 19 March 2019

Trial and error

I now have a TENS machine courtesy of Janet.

Having managed to put it together and make it work, I'm trying to work out where to put the pads so I get the best pain relief from it.

(If you're not familiar with TENS machines, here's a link to the NHS website explaining it: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/transcutaneous-electrical-nerve-stimulation-tens/) 

I have the version with two pads, which you put on the affected area and switch the machine on. It delivers electrical impulses and has a painkilling effect. Allegedly.

Having read the leaflet, the first session had the pads either side of the shoulder. Well being amply padded, the pad on the front part of the shoulder moved a little so it was more on the flesh at the top of the armpit. Could be better. Oh and don't run it at top speed!

Next, having read another website I decided to put the pads along the fleshy part of the back of the arm which is where I get a lot of pain. All this did was push the pain to the front of the arm and resulted in not much sleep and lots of codeine. Harumph.

Sally advised me it was trial and error, maybe put one pad next to the base of the cervical spine and the other on the shoulder. However, I can't reach that part of my neck with my other hand (falling to pieces, dontcha know)...

This morning's effort was one pad at the front of the arm and the other at the back of the arm. Still no joy, though there's no pain at rest. It just bloody hurts when I move.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Bless keep persevering i'm sure it will help, maybe get your hubby to help you with the patches x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I think I've found the sweet spot now as I haven't had much pain there for over a day. It was worth persevering with.

    ReplyDelete